By Barry Balleck
This provocative quantity explores how and why the be aware "patriot" has been appropriated via those that struggle opposed to the U.S. government—sometimes advocating violence in aid in their goals.
• Addresses the wide variety of "patriot" teams at the moment energetic within the usa, overlaying their origins and present actions and what they demonstrate approximately America's political state
• Profiles famous patriot teams
• Discusses the political, fiscal, and social dynamics that perpetuate the expansion of those events
• Explores how and why such teams advanced from guardians of the rules of constrained govt to proponents of radicalized violence opposed to these they see as being against their beliefs
• Overviews the congruence of patriotism and political violence in U.S. background, similar to how disillusionment within the wake of the Civil warfare supplied fodder for the forming of the Klu Klux Klan
Read Online or Download Allegiance to Liberty: The Changing Face of Patriots, Militias, and Political Violence in America PDF
Best civil rights & liberties books
President Harry Truman pointed out himself many times as a champion of civil liberties within the American process of presidency. even though the pursuit of peace crowned his time table, Communist containment and civil liberties have been, in his brain, heavily associated. the yankee Constitution's invoice of Rights used to be a resource of power that the us had, yet that authoritarian regimes didn't.
This assortment examines the topic of id and surveillance from sixteenth C English parish registers to twenty first C DNA databases. The participants, who diversity from historians to felony experts, supply an perception into the old improvement at the back of such matters as biometric id, immigration regulate and private information use.
This examine argues that the decriminalization of intercourse paintings in China can give a contribution to HIV prevention and human rights security. The argument is supported by means of six key suggestions: the universality of human rights, rights-based ways to HIV, intercourse paintings as paintings, danger atmosphere for HIV transmission, decriminalization of intercourse paintings as a well-liked version for HIV prevention, and rights-based responses to HIV and intercourse paintings.
This e-book is the second one of a two-volume set exploring the controversies concerning the studies of usa citizens from Africa. It comprises essays at the roots of protest, together with the unique "Confessions of Nat Turner;" the heritage and personality of the Civil Rights flow; the origins and influence of Black energy; and, eventually, in "Negroes Nevermore," assorted perspectives at the that means of Black satisfaction.
- The Lesser Gods of the Sahara: Social Change and Indigenous Rights
- Damn Great Empires!: William James and the Politics of Pragmatism
- Beyond Intifada: Narratives of Freedom Fighters in the Gaza Strip
- So You Want to Talk About Race
- Independent Press in D.C. and Virginia: An Underground History
- Gender Politics: Citizenship, Activism and Sexual Diversity
Additional resources for Allegiance to Liberty: The Changing Face of Patriots, Militias, and Political Violence in America
Allegiance to Liberty: The Changing Face of Patriots, Militias, and Political Violence in America by Barry Balleck